Farmer Protest 2024 Live Update : Protesting Farmers are Back at the Capital With Fresh Demands
Farmer Protest Delhi : A little more than two years, after forcing the Narendra Modi led BJP government to take back the three farm laws after a prolonged protest around the borders of Delhi, the farmer unions are back in the capital with “Delhi Chalo” slogan, with a new set of demands that includes guarantee of law on minimum support price for corps.
Who are Protesting this time ?
There are more than 250 farmers union under the banner of Kisan Mazdoor Morcha ( KMM) which have the support of about 100 unions and Samyukta Kisan Morcha (non-political) a platform of another 150 unions have called the farmer protest collectively and it is being coordinated from Punjab. Samyukta Kisan Morcha (non-political) is a breakaway fraction of Samyukta Kisan Morcha (SKM) which led the year long farmers protest two years ago.
After the meeting with central ministers and farmers reportedly ended without any conclusion on Monday evening , as of Tuesday morning, 100s of tractors were seen moving towards the capital . To not let them in, proper arrangements have been made with barricades , nails in concrete on road and heavy force deployment.
What are the Demands ?
- Full debt waiver for farmers and labourers
- Implementation of the Land Acquisition Act of 2013, with provisions for written consent from farmers before acquisition, and compensation at four times the collector rate
- Withdrawal from World Trade Organization (WTO) and freeze all free trade agreements
- Compensation for farmers who died during the Delhi protest, including a job for one family member
- 200 (instead of 100) days’ employment under MGNREGA per year, daily wage of Rs 700, and scheme should be linked with farming
- Scrapping of Electricity Amendment Bill 2020
Haryana sealed it’s border with Punjab with massive multilayer barricade at the Shambhu barrier or National Highway 1 leading to Delhi.
Clash at Shambhu Border : As the protesting farmers tried to move ahead by breaking barriers, a clash erupted between farmers and police personnel. Police fired tear gas cans to disperse the protesting farmers. Farmers were seen vandalizing public property and forcefully removing cement barriers to move towards Delhi.
See Video Posted on X : Farmer Protest 2024